You never dream that you would end up the victim of a Texas hit-and-run accident, but it happens more often that you would expect. A hit-and-run occurs when someone flees the scene of an accident to avoid taking blame, and it’s a serious crime. To help prepare you in case you ever end up in a hit-and-run accident, here is what to do:
- Write down what you remember about the car and driver: It’s important to immediately write down before you forget what the driver looked like if you saw him or her, and any details about the car and the license plate, if you saw it. This is critical information that could help the police find the hit-and-run driver.
- Take pictures of the accident location and damage to your car: If you have a camera on your phone, take as many pictures as you can of where the accident occurred and any damage that occurred to you and your car. This will be key evidence for your insurance company and if you decide to go to court.
- Never chase the hit-and-run driver: Even though you would want to chase down the driver, it’s best for your safety to not. The driver could be intoxicated or someone on the run from the authorities, and could cause you serious harm. It’s best to let the police find them instead.
- Alert the police and file a police report: Once the police arrive on the scene, they will file a police report. A police report is vital evidence from an official third-party that will help your insurance company and defend your case if you decide to take it to court.
- Contact an experienced Texas hit-and-run accident attorney: If you are a victim of a hit-and-run, it can be hard to get the compensation you deserve from your insurance company. That’s why it’s important that after your hit-and-run accident, you immediately contact a Texas personal injury lawyer who can help you get the justice you deserve.
The Texas hit-and-run accident attorneys at the Kyle Law Firm have years of experience getting Texans the compensation they deserve. If you or a loved one were a victim of a Texas hit-and-run accident, contact us today and set-up your free, no-obligation consultation.