Desk jobs are commonly regarded as very safe compared to most blue-collar jobs. Accidents do however also occur in an office setting. Getting hurt on the job can have significant consequences, such as medical costs, loss of wages and potentially costs related to anxiety or other mental health issues that were sustained as a result of the accident. Below are some of the most common accidents that occur in the office.
The most common accident in the office is falling down. Office worker falls actually cause more disabling injuries than non-office worker falls. Falls happen most commonly in the following situations:
- Tripping over objects, open drawers, electric wires, etc.
- Falling out of an unstable chair when reaching for something.
- Using a chair to stand on to reach up for things.
- Slip-and-fall accidents due to wet floors.
To avoid falls at the office it’s important to always be cautious. While the office environment might seem very safe, avoidable accidents still frequently happen. Take the following precautions to avoid office injury:
- Close drawers after you’ve taken what you need.
- Pay attention when walking around the office.
- Get up to grab things which are hard to reach from your chair.
- Report dangerous loose wires you notice around the office.
- Don’t use your chair as a ladder.
Improper movement when lifting things around the office, even light loads such as small stacks of paper, can cause back, neck and shoulder injuries.
Make sure that before you lift something that it’s not too heavy to safely lift. Always use your legs for lifting, squatting down to pick something up and then pushing yourself up again with your legs. Don’t bend your back when lifting.
Hurt by Office Objects
People in the office often get hurt by bumping into objects in the workplace such as desks, filing cabinets, chairs, copy machines, etc. or getting fingers stuck in between a drawer.
Avoid these accidents by staying alert when walking around the office.
If you’ve sustained a personal injury at the office, you might be entitled to compensation for the sustained injuries. The experienced personal injury attorneys at The Kyle Law Firm can help you get the compensation that you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.