Kyle Law Firm
Get A Free Consultation 830-620-9402 Call 24 Hours A Day

DUI: How To Move On

Texas leads the nation in fatal drunk driving accidents with 1,337 in one year. Hays County alone had 194 DUI crashes in 2014. So what does that mean for Texans? On average, the fines are $10,000, but when you add the cost of drug/alcohol classes, driving school, attorney fees, etc., it can become a process that lasts years. That, alone, should be enough reason to stay out of the car when intoxicated over the legal limit. But, if you find yourself with a DUI, it is not the end of the world and there are steps you can take to make sure the charge is taken care of as quickly as possible so you can move forward.

Hire a Lawyer

The first thing you should do is find a defense attorney who specializes in DUI cases. There are so many intricate law processes and terms that are impossible to understand, even in plain terms. Finding an attorney that is willing to work with you will help clear up any complications in a timely manner associated with the DUI charge.

Go To Court

With all defense cases, it is imperative that you show up for court. Sometimes that means missing work or other important events, but choosing not to show up for court trial will make your time dealing with a DUI so much worse.

Serve Your Time

As mentioned earlier , there are a multitude of actions your judge may tell you to do as consequence of your fine. This could be anything from community service to driving classes or even having a breathalyzer installed into your car. It will be expensive, but the earlier you get your deeds done the better. Most states, including Texas, will suspend your driver's license until all terms are met.

Get Insurance

Many large insurance companies will skyrocket your rates or will cut you off after receiving a DUI, because you are now considered a liability and more dangerous. As quick as you can, find an insurance company that takes DUI offenders. It is important to have insurance if you ever want to drive again, so in order to "move on" you've got to consider all options.

Get Your License Back

Once you can prove that you have completed, or are in the process of completing, your punishment AND you have proper insurance, the court will give you back your license. Sometimes it is a restricted license that only allows you to go to and from school or work. The first step is obtaining a personal identification card. Don't fret, your lifestyle will get back in order in no time with a defensive attorney by your side!

Like most crimes, the first thing you should do to protect yourself and speed up the process is to hire a defense attorney. The lawyers at Kyle Law Firm in Hays County are ready to defend your case and get you back on your feet! Contact Kyle Law Firm today for a free consultation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact Our Firm Now

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Kyle Law Firm

New Braunfels Office
707 N. Walnut Ave.
New Braunfels, TX 78130

Phone: 830-620-9402
New Braunfels Law Office Map

San Marcos Office
136 East San Antonio Street
San Marcos, TX 78666

Phone: 830-620-9402
Map & Directions