When driving, you won't have to look far to spot a commercial truck. In fact, if you find yourself on the highway, theses vehicles may surround you.
Understanding the top causes of commercial truck accidents can go a long way in keeping you safe.
- Inadequate training: If truckers don't receive the proper training, such as on safety techniques, they're more likely to cause an accident.
- Driving under the influence: Drugs, alcohol and prescription medication make it difficult for a trucker to focus on the road and make sound decisions.
- Drowsy driving: Truckers are notorious for driving when tired, as they spend many hours behind the wheel.
- Reckless driving: This takes on many forms, with excessive speeding and illegal passing among the most common.
- Unrealistic schedule: When a trucking company implements an unrealistic schedule, a trucker is more likely to speed, violate other rules of the road and neglect to stop for sleep.
You can't change the behavior of truck drivers, but you can alter your approach when behind the wheel. Do these things:
- Never drive in a trucker's blind spot
- Leave plenty of space when switching lanes in front of a truck
- Take special care when merging onto the highway in close proximity to a commercial truck
- Never pass a truck (or any other vehicle) in the right lane
- Don't spend too much time driving between two commercial trucks
- Don't sit too closely to a truck that is making a right turn, such as in a crowded city
- If you must pull to the shoulder, get as far away from the road as possible
Even if you're 100 percent devoted to preventing trouble on the road, you could still suffer an injury in a car-truck accident.
If this happens, immediately move to safety and call 911. Administer first aid to the best of your ability until paramedics arrive.
Once you receive treatment at a local hospital, you'll understand your injuries and prognosis for making a recovery.
As time allows, contact your insurance agent to file a claim. This is also the right time to review the cause of the accident, learn more about your legal rights in Texas and take action with the idea of obtaining compensation from the negligent party.