Our New Braunfels and San Marcos boating accident attorneys are board certified and posess the skills and experience you need to win your case.
When Boating Mishaps Take Place
According to the U.S. Coast Guard, there were 5,265 boating accidents in 2020. Of those, there were 767 deaths, 3,191 injuries and approximately $62.5 million dollars of damage to property as a result of recreational boating accidents. Compared to 2019, that’s an increase to the number of accidents of 26.3%, number of deaths by 25.1%, and number of injuries by 24.7%.
It’s clear that the pandemic has pushed many Americans to enjoy more of their time in the great outdoors. And while recreational boating is a fun and fairly safe pastime, boating accidents are unfortunately more common in Texas. The many rivers, lakes and the Gulf Coast have long made the water a popular destination for Texans.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident, schedule a free consultation and speak with the lawyers at Kyle Law Firm about your options. We can assess your situation and help you pursue compensation for your injuries and/or damage to your property. We can help you get adequate compensation when unfortunate events occur, such as:
- Collisions with another water vehicle or object
- Presence of faulty equipment
- Pier mishaps
- Onboard fires
Boat accident cases can be complicated. Insurance companies and defendants will challenge you every step of the way. We’re here to help you assert your right to recover compensation for any of your injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injury
- Back injury
- Eye injury
- Injuries to the brain or spine
- Wrongful death, and more
How Boating Accidents Happen
A boating accident resulting in property damage, injury, or death can happen for any number of reasons and on any type of watercraft – from a barge or commercial boat all the way to a recreational boat or jet ski. Boating accidents that involve collisions with other boats are hazardous not only to the passengers on board, but to any swimmers or nearby structures, too. They can especially become deadly when intoxicated or inexperienced riders are involved.
While alcohol use is the leading known contributing factor in fatal boating accidents, there are a miriad of reasons why boating accidents can occur. Here are some top expamples:
- Operator inattention. Boat operators are required to stay vigilant at all times and constantly monitor their boat, the weather and any unsafe conditions or objects nearby. Conditions at sea may be unpredictable, which means operators should look for early warning signs of any hazards out there.
- Improper lookout. A proper lookout, separate from the operator, should be designated to watch for threats or hazards.
- Inexperience of operators. Operators not only need to understand the basics of boating and rules of navigation, but they also need to be prepared to handle emergency situations. It’s recommended that boat operators receive boat safety instruction.
- Excessive speed. Just as it is in a car on a roadway, it is critical to operate your boat at a safe speed. This will give you time to react to dangers. Excessive speed may result in collisions with other boats, vessels, or objects.
- Impaired operation. Alcohol or drug use can be a factor in boat accidents that result in death or serious injury. In most states, the legal limit of blood alcohol level for boaters is the same as it is for automobile drivers – 0.08 percent.
- Equipment failure. Proper boat maintenance is crucial for its safe operation. It is the responsibility of the boat owner to make the necessary checks to ensure that the boat is in good condition.
- Violating navigational rules. In the water, these are similar to the rules of the road. Violating the rules of navigation can prove to be extremely dangerous. It may lead to crashes with other boats or running the boat aground.
- Dangerous waters. Conditions in the water can change within a matter of minutes. While some situations cannot be anticipated, there are scenarios that can be expected. Boats operators should be mindful of the conditions at all times.
- Weather. Boat operators should always check weather conditions such as storm forecasts and wind patterns before heading out. Never ignore weather alerts.
- Force of waves or wakes. A wake is the disturbance of the water resulting from the passage of the boat’s hull. A force of a large wave or a wake can cause accidents, injuries or even fatalities.
Learn More About Filing A Boating Injury Lawsuit
A boat accident can be incredibly scary. Sometimes the emotional trauma of an on-the-water collision can be just as devastating as your physical injuries. It might take time for you to get back on your feet. You need to focus all of your attention on getting better. The last thing you need to do is stress over a complicated lawsuit. That’s where our attorneys come in. We have the experience and insight that’s necessary to win your case.
In order to recover compensation, you must first file an injury claim. Enlisting the aid of a qualified attorney who has the experience and knowledge of the ins and outs of personal injury litigation will greatly improves your chances of obtaining financial damages. Not all lawyers are familiar with the nuances of handling personal injury lawsuits. This is a unique field where experience and familiarity with every bit of legal fact is important in securing a favorable verdict. The lawyers at Kyle Law Firm are certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in the area of personal injury law. This distinction, conferred upon fewer than 10 percent of our state’s attorneys, is a testament to our ability to practice at the highest level of excellence.
The Help You Need, When You Need It
Boating accidents can cost you thousands of dollars in medical bills and lost wages. Worse, it could mean long-term loss of income if the injured suffer from permanent disabilities. If you or a loved one have been in a boating accident, we can help you avoid undue financial distress. Contact us today or call 830-620-9402 to secure a free consultation and the skilled services of the Kyle Law Firm.